An Introduction to Heritage Grains: Heritage Turkey Red Wheat


An Introduction to Heritage Grains: Heritage Turkey Red Wheat

In continuing with our Introduction to Heritage Grains series, we will begin highlighting some of the grains that we have decided to use for our Louismill stone milled flour and grits. One of the exceptional grains that we have chosen to use is a particular strain of wheat called Turkey Hard Winter Wheat. This non-GMO heritage grain arrived in the United States during the late 1800’s and was originally cultivated in Kansas by Mennonite immigrants. The Turkey Hard Winter Wheat was planted all throughout the Central Plains and was highly sought after because of its superior taste and nutritional value. Unfortunately, during the 1940’s and 50’s modern grain hybrids began replacing heritage grain crops in order to increase yields for farmers. This strain of heritage wheat has almost disappeared from the agricultural landscape within the United States, but we have been luck enough to find steady supplies of Turkey Red Wheat in Kentucky.

Our Louismill Heritage Turkey Red Wheat Products

Our current partner for this type of heritage wheat is Berea College in Berea, KY. They have focused on reviving this superior strain of wheat through their Agricultural Department and have even gone as far as obtaining USDA Organic status for their wheat production as well. We are currently packaging their wheat berries within two of our products:

–     Louismill Type-85 Heritage Turkey Red Wheat Bread Flour:

Our Type-85 Bread Flour is the optimal mixture of bran and flour for baking healthy and delicious artisan loaves. We remove only 15% of the bran from our Type-85 flour, leaving 85% of the nutritional value of our stone milled product. We use Heritage Turkey Red Wheat for our Type-85 Bread Flour, which gives it a distinctive taste and smell. The amazing smells that emanate from our flour bag will show you the difference between our stone milled flour and other commercial brands.

–     Louismill Heritage Turkey Red Wheat Berries:

These non-GMO Heritage Turkey Red Wheat Berries are the perfect product for individuals looking to either mill their own flour or those looking to make hearty wheat berry salads. Our Wheat Berries come from Berea College in Berea, KY and have a distinctive flavor that is sought out by artisan bakers and chefs across the United States.

Why Heritage Wheat?

These three types of wheat flour have significant advantages over traditional varieties of store bought flour. Because we use a stone mill to create our organic flour, we are able to mill the entire wheat berry and maintain the nutritional content that wheat originally possessed. This means that our products give you actual nutritional benefits when consumed, rather than being empty calories. Our Louismill Type-85 Heritage Turkey Red Wheat flour also have a very distinct smell and taste that gives your baked goods more flavor. We use the Turkey Wheat in many of our artisan bread loaves and bakery items, and our customers have constantly let us know that they love the taste. The last benefit of using our stone milled Turkey Wheat flours is that, similar to other fresh flours, they promote better enzymatic activity and healthy gluten development, therefore making them more digestible for people with wheat-intolerance. We have found that our breads with Heritage Turkey Red Wheat flour are easier to form during the cooking process and perform much better in the oven than other varieties of wheat flour.

All of our flours and grits are packaged under the name Louismill and come from ancient grains which are sustainably farmed and organically grown. We want nothing less for ourselves and would want nothing less for any of our customers. All Louismill products can be purchased at our Online Store. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you the difference that heritage grains can make and please feel free to reach out to us at eat@mozzapi.com if you have any questions or would like to discuss purchasing our flour or corn for your restaurant or commercial enterprise.